Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Autumn muse with a pinch of childhood memoir

Cold has seeped in unusually early in Thimphu this year. It’s just autumn and unbelievably we (I) are already with socks and curled up in bed with warm heater at the bed side. Its getting colder, brrr...Warm jackets, leggings, uggs, thick socks and scarves have already started replacing my wardrobe. 
Just back from a tour to Gelephu where it is still hot in the day and I have been already pampered with the warmth down there that as soon as I reach here, heater was the only thought on my mind. And I know it’s too early, yet I have started using heater also. :(.

December, 2008: that was the last time I had visited Gelephu. Young, fresh and with lots of enthusiasm at 22, I had just completed college and travelled south through that route to Wangdue. I had nothing then except a college degree. The whole world lay before me to be embarked upon. 3 and half years later, soon after my 25th birthday, I got a chance to go to Gelephu, as a civil servant on a tour. Nothing much has changed in these last four years in Gelephu except for the whopping Punatshangchhu hydro power project on the way. But so much has changed in me, in my life. I have heaps of my fair shares of sorrows, downfalls and happiness and yeah not to forget my heartbreaks also.  

Autumn in Bhutan
Autumn- next to Spring I love this season to its end. With abundant sun and cloud less blue skies, I have so many reasons to be in love with this season. Firstly I am the seed of autumn, born in October. I believe that my parents have planned rightly to conceive me to be born in this month. For that matter my father need not wash my diapers in the cold winter water and the weather is so warm with bountiful sun, perfect for my mother to bathe me in the warm morning sun :). I was an ugly and a sick baby then hehe. If I plan to have a child, I would plan just like my parents did for me :P. And of course my wedding, I would have an autumn wedding as well. The warm autumn sun simply amazes me. It is so bountiful and vast in nature. No wonder we had the royal wedding in autumn at this time of the year last year. Why? It must be for the awesome weather and perfect time of the year hehe.

Autumn reminds me of a particular verse from the book of Ecclesiastes in the bible:

“A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is
planted;”

Autumn is a time to pluck whatever is planted. It’s a season to harvest the bountiful produce of the year and store the barns for the winter. At this time of the year I would love to be in the countryside, merrymaking with the rural folks in the terrace field to store the barns.  Isn’t it beautiful? Yes, God has made everything beautiful in its time. 


Leaves grow, alter its color and fall to the ground in autumn giving way to dry winter. As a kid returning from school me and my brother used to run to catch the leaves falling from the large trees and if we catch it we used to save it in our books. And used to name it “Lucky leaf.” 
Years later, if we see the leaf, it would have turn dried and flat and sometimes left its print perfectly inside the book. That was the best part of autumn for me as a kid.

And I thank God everyday for the beautiful life He has bestowed upon me, for the beautiful past 25 years of my life.  God, its 25 years? I have spent the silver jubilee of my life, yay! and every morning I thank God for this. 

And I hope to do a blog post on the golden jubilee of my life hopefully :).

My awesome readers, wish you all a bountiful autumn. 



5 comments:

  1. Rekha, Happy Birthday. I can see how happy you are being an Autumn girl. I wish you an autumn child as you wish.
    Here in Wangdue we are still sleeping under fan. You optimism about Autumn makes me look at the falling leaves differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post! Perhaps, the recent trip of yours in Gelephu be of this inspiration to craft this beautiful piece. You write beautiful, of that I am very much certain. And I would love to see you writing consistent, with all those former vigour and inspiration. In fact, autumn is simply stunning . As much as you do, I just love it! A wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and is as beautiful as autumn season. It was nice reading your chidhood memories and bits of changes that have taken place over the last 25 years. If your birthday is still not over, I wish you Happy Birthday. If it's already over, incorporate my wishes in the list of wishes you got on that day. :D
    Keep writing and autumn will make leaves fall every year and make you remember the bygone years leading you to write another wonderful post. No one doesn't like autumn, it seems. I aslo love it. I can see the bloggers getting active and adorning their blogs with lovely pictures and their pouring out their poetic muses. I hope to see autumn of Bhutan soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons but after the long and cold winter we had I'm very ready for it to start getting hot here! xoxox

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say on the post that you just read?

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...