Monday, August 25, 2014

Why I need to visit Amsterdam again

How was your weekend guys? Mine was spent binging on a lot of readings and movies in bed.

I may be the last fan of The Fault in Our Stars to see the movie since its release in theatres in June this year. Unlike other book movies, I’m mildly surprised that it meets the expectations. 
More importantly it kindled fresh memories of my abrupt trip to Amsterdam earlier this march since some of the scenes in the movie are in Amsterdam. It was an abrupt trip because I didn’t get to see the city in daylight. 

I squeezed out a couple of hours from my work to make a quick trip to the city and got back by the last train home for a quick catch up for another trip to Brussels the next morning. Phew, it was such a hectic time!

So, it was the night trip to Amsterdam. And for the obvious reason, to visit the infamous Red Light District. This explains why. 
Normally Amsterdam is portrayed with the quintessential canals with lots of bikes parked along, the boat tour, the famous Anne Frank House, Van Gogh museum, windmills, cheese…Unfortunately, I had to miss these. 

So we took the lesser road travelled and visited the red light district. Soon after we hopped off the train, we grabbed a quick coffee and headed straight to the district. There, the air reeked of weed, sometimes becoming quite grim for a normal breathe. 
It was a different experience, an eye-opening and a good one of course. It’s so amazing what travel can do to you. It makes you explore and connect with people and other cultures. At the same time it helps you learn new things and grow. It makes you realize how special your culture is and help you to appreciate yourself, the people you love and the place you live in so much more.

It’s rightly said ‘the world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.’ 

For a history enthusiast, it was such a great loss for me to have missed the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh museum since going to these places meant I had to have a whole day which was impossible. Nevertheless, I believe in next time. So next time these two are on my must- see place in Amsterdam. That's why I think I need to go to there again some day hopefully.

Excuse the blurry photos from the peek into the night.


Have a lovely week ahead and yeah don't forget to watch the movie if you are plain lazy to read the book.
post signature

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rekha! I finally watched the movie yesterday afternoon with my hubby. Indeed, the movie is much better than just reading the book as you can see and feel the human emotions played. Definitely not as boring as Norwegian Wood hehehe...

    Yeah, hope your dream to visit Amsterdam again will come true. I've had enough as I spent the whole 5 days all by myself and yes, the Van Gough museum is a must visit place plus don't forget the Heineken museum lol! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, glad that you enjoyed the movie unlike the Norwegian wood :P. And yeah what a lovely way to spend time with your hubby.

      My thirst for Amsterdam is yet to be quenched. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. I would love to read the novel. This I will add to my To-Read-List. It appears it would be interesting to keep my eyes pasted. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rekha! I am still to see the movie but I loved the book. I went to Amsterdam a few years ago and I would love to go back, it is such a wonderful city. The Van Gough Museum was my favorite things while I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, if you loved the book, you'll love the movie even more.

      Indeed, I've left my heart back at Amsterdam. I've to go and get it one day :).

      Delete

What do you have to say on the post that you just read?

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...